Here's how to do a Factory Reset and Hard Reset the HTC Wildfire S from HTC support. This may help If your phone becomes unresponsive or sluggish**** try restarting your phone and see if that helps. In case your phone has a persistent problem that cannot be solved**** the last resort is to do a factory reset.
Restarting your phone (soft reset)
If your phone is running slower than normal**** an application is not performing properly**** or your phone becomes unresponsive**** try restarting your phone and see if that helps solve the problem. To restart your phone**** simply turn it off and back on. If pressing and holding the POWER button doesn't work**** then remove the battery**** wait for a few seconds**** reinsert the battery**** and then turn the phone on.
Performing a factory reset (hard reset)
If you're passing your phone on to someone else or your phone has a persistent problem that cannot be solved**** you can do a factory reset (also called a hard reset). This returns your phone to the state it was in before the first time you turned it on.
Please Note: Factory reset will not remove the data and files that are in your phone’s microSD card.
Factory reset is not a step to be taken lightly. It will permanently delete all your data and customized settings**** and will also remove any applications you've downloaded and installed. Be sure to back up any data and files you want to keep before you do a factory reset.
HTC Wildfire S - Factory reset via settings
The most convenient way to do a factory reset is via the phone settings.
1. From the Home screen**** press MENU
3. Scroll down the screen and then tap Privacy > Factory data reset.
4. On the Factory data reset screen**** tap Reset phone.
5. Then tap Erase everything.
HTC Wildfire S - Performing a factory reset using phone button combination.
If you cannot turn on your phone or access the phone settings**** you can still perform a factory reset by using the buttons on the phone.
1. With the HTC incredible S phone turned off**** press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button**** and then briefly press the POWER button.
Note: If you are not sure whether your phone's power is turned off**** remove and then reinsert the battery.
2. Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear**** and then release the VOLUME DOWN button.
3. Press VOLUME DOWN to select CLEAR STORAGE**** and then press POWER.
4. Press VOLUME UP to start the factory reset